Saturday, July 28, 2012

Flower decay made visible using reflected UV ultraviolet photography II

While I was shooting flowers at Hermahnshof, Weinheim park, I noticed that in UV the wilting / ageing / decay of a flower can be easily detected, wheras in visible light this is not visible to us humans. I have written about that effect earlier here.

A UV sensitive camera, Cerco 94mm lens, Baader-U resp. UV/IR Cut filter was used; standardized UV palette using my ReflectionDisc

[click on image to see a larger one]

VIS (left) - UV (right):


The larger, yellow Helianthus tuberosus flower on the right side clearly shows that it has aged and will be wilting soon. In reflcted UV things get much easier to see immediately. So I'm sure pollinators (bees) knew that way before us...


Stay tuned, more will follow on that fascinating subject...

More info on this very interesting field may be found on my site http://www.pbase.com/kds315/uv_photos